This is long over due in being posted, and for that I apologize. I was so excited to have so many lovely ladies read the book Jesus + Nothing = Everything with me. And now it’s time chat about it!
Below I have a whole list of questions that we talked through (almost all of them!) during the live book chat on March 30th. Now you get to join in the chat by sharing your thoughts and answers either on Twitter, Facebook, or the comment section at the bottom of this post.
So here we go….!
1. What was your first thought about the title of this book?
2. Sum the book up in one sentence.
3. Has this book made you desire to know, grow, and experience God’s grace more?
4. What was your favorite chapter?
5. Can you think of a situation and/or do you realize now how often you rely on the approval and acceptance of others than on the approval and acceptance that is already yours in Christ?
6. What are some other names for legalism? (according to page 45)
7. Do you remember why Paul wrote Colossians? (page 61)
8. Let’s talk about the “Jesus +Nothing= Everything” and the “Everything – Jesus = Nothing” equations. (page 61)
9. Which is wrong – Morality or Moralism? Why? (page 61)
10. As you read chapter 6, was it hard to accept the depth of the sin in your life?
11. Does your heart sing for joy as you begin to understand the scope of sin and Jesus’ redemption?
12. “The Everything became nothing. For our sake.” (page 84) How does that affect you?
13. Did you take time to think about the “good” that you are pursing in addition to Jesus?
14. What are some of the good things of life that you battle as idols of the heart?
15. Have you been or are you caught in the trap of “do more…try harder”? (page 90)
16. What is the greatest threat to the gospel? (page 90)
17. What should we do everyday? And how should we do it? What should the message be/content be? (page 94)
18. What are some of the things you personally use to fill your life? (page 108)
19. What are some teachings you may have become captive to? (page 109)
20. When does life change happen? What is sanctification? (page 117)
21. What’s 1 area you try to prove or protect yourself? What is 1 way you need to stop pretending? (page 120)
22. Is your life causing the people around you to hope desperately that the gospel is true? (page 125)
23. Have you steered beyond the gospel or more deeply into it? (page 129)
24. Has the gospel been “The ABCs” or “The A to Z” of your faith? How? (page 130)
25. What are statements that sum up your life since your identity is in Christ? (page 132-133) Example: I don’t have to be embarrassed when my children disobey in front of the whole church because my identity is not in them but in Christ.
26. Why should we do the right things? (page 153)
27. Are you living a Christless Christianity? (page 153)
28. “Embracing the everything that Christ brings us in the gospel, we’re free to give our own everything.” What are the first thoughts that come to mind when you hear that statement? (page 159)
29. Do you struggle to embrace what your mind affirms [the gospel]? (page 165)
30. When we give into temptation we fail to…….? (page 171)
31. When does “good behavior” happen? (page 171)
32. “The first sin that needs to be rooted out and attacked is not immoral behavior; it’s immoral belief – the belief that my Christian life is all about my moral & spiritual progress.” (page 181)
33. What kind of accountability do you have in your life?
34. According to page 185, what is the secret to maturity?
35. “We celebrate with worship because the Lord’s everything is worthy of our everything.” How are you celebrating?
36. As you set this book on your bookshelf….what are you walking away with? How has your thinking changed?
37. Are you…will you…pray for a gospel riot to break out in your heart, your family, your church?
Thank you for joining me in reading this book! I hope you’ll tag along for the next one, too!
* * *